Five easy steps to prep your home for resale. Are you looking to sell your home? Then these 5 easy step will help you get started.
1. Clean it. Make sure your home is clean. Not just the surfaces, but all the hidden places. Buyers do
check out all the areas in your home, so don't assume they won't see it.
2. Deodorize it. Now that your home is clean, does it smell clean? Pets and cooking odors can
linger, so make sure it can passes the "sniff test".
3. Fix it. Do you have cracked ceilings? Cracked tiles? Leaking faucets? Make sure you address all
issues. If not, buyers will interpret this as a home that's been neglected!! This in turn will low-
ball their offer!! They may even walk away thinking too much work needs to be done. Don't let
this happen to you.
4. Maximize it. Square footage sells. Is your home too cramped with furniture? A good rule of
thumb, eliminate about 50% of non-essentials from your home. Don't forget to check you
closets. Buyers will look for storage space. My rule-of-thumb, nothing on the floor!!
5. Decorate it. Ok now that you've done the first 4 steps, it's time to decorate it. Buyers fall in love
with a home that has a warm and welcoming feel to it. This is not about decorating to your taste!
Remember to keep it simple. Check out magazines and home stores to get inspirations. If you find
it difficult, hire a home stager. It's well-worth the cost!!
Back-in-the-day, selling a home used to be easy. Call the realtor, research the competition and put a "For Sale" sign on your lawn. Not anymore. Buyers have become savvy. HGTV has educated buyers. They want a move-in-ready home. If you don't prep your home before you put it on the market, I guarantee you are just helping your competitors sell theirs!! Just think of it like detailing your car!! Consider hiring a home stager. A professional will give you an unbiased opinion of what needs to be addressed!!